It is important to know that there are post-high school education programs that allow you to acquire specific knowledge and skills, with which you can start your career at the end of your studies. These programs can be taken independently or in stages and are a great way to continue studying if you’re still unsure about starting your bachelor’s degree. These programs suppose a variety of academic titles (from Certificates to Diplomas), and they have a few advantages:
- They are usually shorter in duration and than a Bachelor’s Degree
- Entry requirements are usually less demanding
- Normally, these programs are taught in smaller institutions, which specialize in this type of training and certification
- They can cost less than a bachelor’s degree
- Its main focus is on the hands-on experience
- They promote the development of professional and personal skills within your area of interest
- They are recognized by employers and industry bodies as evidence of a person’s ability to perform a specific job
These institutions are called by different names depending on the country, but you can find them as Colleges, Community Colleges, or Technical and Further Education Institutions (TAFE).
Studying a VET or TAFE course is one of the best options if you have a medium level of English and want to live overseas for more than six months. They are a good option to learn valued professions or recognized jobs that might be highly demanded in each country and can pave your way in the job market or towards higher degrees in the VET (Vocational Education and Training) sector or for university (bachelor’s degree).